Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- A patch of protection against Zika virus - UQ News - University of Queensland
Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:04 GMT
- Zika information for travelers - World Health Organization
Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:41 GMT
- Molecular epidemiology, clinical analysis, and genetic ... - Nature.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:48 GMT
- Climate, public health crises, and fertility | Penn Today - Penn Today
Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:00 GMT
- Zika virus | Centre writes to all States asking them to strengthen the entomological surveillance - The Hindu
Tue, 07 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Zika virus in Maharashtra: Know symptoms, complications, prevention tips - Hindustan Times
Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Disease Transmission and Diagnosis of Zika Virus - Cureus
Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- These volunteers want to be infected with disease to aid research ... - Nature.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:12 GMT
- The Zika genome and insights in the era of emerging outbreaks - The Hindu
Tue, 07 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Health workers, public asked to be on alert against Zika virus - The Hindu
Mon, 06 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Zika virus M protein latches and locks the E protein from ... - Nature.com
Mon, 06 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Karnataka steps up surveillance after detection of Zika virus in mosquito pool in Chickballapur - The Hindu
Sat, 04 Nov 2023 07:00 GMT
- Climate and disease in numbers: six ways in which our health is at ... - Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:58 GMT
- Samples from Chickballapur test negative for Zika - The Hindu
Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Concerns raised as Zika warning issued - The Phuket News
Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:52 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - France (03): (BT)
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:28:53 -0400
Yellow Fever, Zika virus, Dengue, Chikungunya -- France
A potentially deadly mosquito that can carry viruses such as yellow fever and Zika has been spotted in Brittany, northern France, sparking fears they may soon land on British shores. Asian tiger mosquitoes [_Aedes albopictus_] have been confirmed to be in the commune of Domagne in the department of Ile-et-Vilaine in western Brittany.
Health authorities are preparing an intensive campaign to rid the area of the insects with strong insecticides.
The creatures were 1st seen in France in the
- Molecular epidemiology, clinical analysis, and genetic characterization of Zika virus infections in Thailand (2020-2023) Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
To investigate the clinical and molecular characteristics and evolution of the Zika virus (ZIKV) in Thailand from March 2020 to March 2023. In all, 751 serum samples from hospitalized patients in Bangkok and the surrounding areas were screened for ZIKV using real-time RT-PCR. Demographic data and clinical variables were evaluated. Phylogenetic and molecular clock analysis determined the genetic relationships among the ZIKV strains, emergence timing, and their molecular characteristics. Among the...
- Brain methylome remodeling selectively regulates neuronal activity genes linking to emotional behaviors in mice exposed to maternal immune activation Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
How early life experience is translated into storable epigenetic information leading to behavioral changes remains poorly understood. Here we found that Zika virus (ZIKV) induced-maternal immune activation (MIA) imparts offspring with anxiety- and depression-like behavior. By integrating bulk and single-nucleus RNA sequencing (snRNA-seq) with genome-wide 5hmC (5-hydroxymethylcytosine) profiling and 5mC (5-methylcytosine) profiling in prefrontal cortex (PFC) of ZIKV-affected male offspring mice,...
- Thinking out of the box: revisiting health surveillance based on medical records Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Despite the considerable advances in the last years, the health information systems for health surveillance still need to overcome some critical issues so that epidemic detection can be performed in real time. For instance, despite the efforts of the Brazilian Ministry of Health (MoH) to make COVID-19 data available during the pandemic, delays due to data entry and data availability posed an additional threat to disease monitoring. Here, we propose a complementary approach by using electronic...
- Superior efficacy of a skin-applied microprojection device for delivering a novel Zika DNA vaccine Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Zika virus (ZIKV) infections are spreading silently with limited global surveillance in at least 89 countries and territories. There is a pressing need to develop an effective vaccine suitable for equitable distribution globally. Consequently, we previously developed a proprietary DNA vaccine encoding secreted non-structural protein 1 of ZIKV (pVAX-tpaNS1) to elicit rapid protection in a T cell-dependent manner in mice. In the current study, we evaluated the stability, efficacy, and...
- The Wood equation allows consistent fitting of individual antibody-response profiles of Zika virus or SARS-CoV-2 infected patients Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Antibody kinetic curves obtained during a viral infection are often fitted using aggregated patient data, hiding the heterogeneity of individual humoral immune responses. Individual antibody responses can be modeled using the Wood equation and grouped according to their profile. Such modeling takes into account several important kinetic parameters, such as the day when antibody detection becomes positive [daypos], the day of the maximal response [daymax], the maximum antibody level [levelmax],...
- A Review of Pathogens Transmitted by the Container-Inhabiting Mosquitoes, Aedes Albopictus, A Global Public Health Threat Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Dengue virus (DENV), Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), and Zika virus (ZIKV) are highly pathogenic human arboviruses transmitted by the Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) or Ae. Albopictus mosquito. These arboviruses are responsible for causing fever, hemorrhagic conditions, and neurological diseases in humans post-bite from an infected Aedes mosquito. Over the past 80 years, the Ae. albopictus has infested every habitable continent, bar Antarctica, thereby escalating the...
- Data from Entomological Collections of Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae) in a post-epidemic area of Chikungunya, City of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Arbovirus epidemics (chikungunya, dengue, West Nile fever, yellow fever and zika) are a growing threat in African areas where Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti (Linnaeus, 1762) and Aedes albopictus (Skuse, 1895) are present. The lack of comprehensive sampling of these two vectors limits our understanding of their propagation dynamics in areas at risk of arboviruses. Here, we collected 6,943 observations (both larval and human capture) of Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus between 2020 and 2022. The study...
- Editorial: Preclinical macaque models of viral diseases Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
- Is Prior Zika Virus Infection Associated With Cardiovascular Disease? Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS: Our study found that young patients with a prior ZIKV infection have more echocardiographic, arrhythmic, and blood pressure changes when compared to similar-aged controls.
- The Zika virus: an opportunity to revisit reproductive health needs and disparities Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
First isolated in 1947, the Zika virus was initially connected only to limited or sporadic human infections. In late 2015, the temporal clustering of a Zika outbreak and microcephaly in newborn babies from northeastern Brazil, and the identification of a causal link between the two, led to the characterization of the congenital Zika syndrome. In the wake of the epidemic, several countries from Latin America advised women to postpone pregnancies for periods ranging from six months to two years....