Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Japanese encephalitis joins Zika, dengue and malaria on travellers' danger list for Indonesia
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 01:24 GMT
- 2 People In Madhya Pradesh Die Due To Zika Virus, 109 Affected In State
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:27 GMT
- Global immunoprofiling effort reveals multifunctional T cell response during Zika infection
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:39 GMT
- USAID hosts workshop on Zika virus
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 06:01 GMT
- 2 persons who tested positive for Zika die in MP
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:32 GMT
- Are the Caribbean Islands Zika Free?
Tue, 6 Nov 2018 20:59 GMT
- Familiar barriers still unresolved—a perspective on the Zika virus outbreak research response
Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:49 GMT
- After Rajasthan, Zika affects 89 in Madhya Pradesh
Mon, 12 Nov 2018 09:58 GMT
- 2 persons, who tested positive for Zika, die in Bhopal, 109 affected in MP
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:32 GMT
- 31 cases of Zika virus reported in central India
Sun, 11 Nov 2018 06:38 GMT
- Are wild monkeys becoming a reservoir for Zika virus in the Americas?
Wed, 31 Oct 2018 15:59 GMT
- Zika Vaccine Needed Now More Than Ever
Mon, 5 Nov 2018 21:52 GMT
- Biomarkers may predict Zika-related birth defects
Mon, 5 Nov 2018 10:20 GMT
- Republican Zika wins in House District 53 race
Wed, 7 Nov 2018 06:32 GMT
- Zika Biomarkers Could Lead to Prenatal Diagnostic
Fri, 2 Nov 2018 14:21 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Chikungunya (06): Africa (Sudan) mixed outbreak
Mon, 08 Oct 2018 23:31:26 -0400
Chikungunya -- Sudan
The Federal Ministry of Health in recent times has informed WHO of an outbreak of chikungunya that has affected eastern states. To date, a total of 13 430 suspected cases were reported from the country, primarily from Kassala and Red Sea state. Samples have been tested both by PCR and by serology. A number of samples have also been tested positive for dengue fever.
Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease. It can be easily be mistaken for other arboviral diseases such as dengue or Zika