Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika Virus Infection Fast Facts - ABC17NEWS - ABC17News.com - ABC17News.com
Thu, 27 May 2021 07:00 GMT
- Researchers make first-ever discovery of Zika virus RNA in free-ranging African bats - EurekAlert
Wed, 02 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- A safe, effective and affordable Zika vaccine | Result In Brief | H2020 | CORDIS | European Commission - Cordis News
Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- First Discovery of Zika Virus RNA in Free-Ranging African Bats - Technology Networks
Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- Global Zika Virus Market Pipeline Spotlight Report 2021: Key Takeaways, Treatments, Epidemiology, Drugs, Probability of Success, Clinical Trial Landscape - PRNewswire
Tue, 08 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- Genetically Altered Mosquitoes Target Deadly Dengue Fever and Zika - The Wall Street Journal
Mon, 31 May 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika virus employs the host antiviral RNase L protein to support replication factory assembly - pnas.org
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika Vaccine Candidate Found Effective and Safe - PrecisionVaccinations
Mon, 24 May 2021 07:00 GMT
- World Zika Virus Market Pipeline Spotlight Report 2021: Inovio Leads Industry Sponsors with Four Clinical Trials for Zika Virus, Followed by GeneOne, Moderna, and Sanofi - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- Recent Rains Mean Start of Mosquito Season - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 02:47 GMT
- Oregon House backs fast-track for Bend land use plan - Blue Mountain Eagle
Tue, 22 Jun 2021 00:45 GMT
- How to stay safe from 5 common but dangerous bugs this summer - USA TODAY
Wed, 02 Jun 2021 07:00 GMT
- Oregon House approves bill aiming to protect renters from eviction, ensuring landlords are made whole - East Oregonian
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:03 GMT
- Global Zika Virus Testing Market Demand 2021-28| Luminex, Simens, Abbott Molecular – The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 05:31 GMT
- City of El Paso officials say to prepare for spread of mosquito-borne illnesses - KTSM 9 News
Sun, 20 Jun 2021 22:41 GMT
- PRO> Emerging zoonoses, global (02): FAO/OIE/UNEP/WHO One Health panel, comment
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 05:27:33 -0400
Avian Influenza H5N1, MERS, Ebola, Zika virus, COVID-19 -- Worldwide/Unknown
- Amaryllidaceae alkaloid cherylline inhibits the replication of dengue and Zika viruses Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Dengue fever, caused by dengue virus (DENV) is the most prevalent arthropod-borne viral disease, and is endemic in many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world with an increasing incidence in temperate regions. The closely related flavivirus Zika virus (ZIKV) can be transmitted vertically in utero and causes congenital Zika syndrome and other birth defects. In adults, ZIKV is associated with Guillain-Barré syndrome. There are no approved antiviral therapies against neither viruses....
- Novel non-nucleoside inhibitors of Zika virus polymerase identified through the screening of an open library of anti-kynetoplastid compounds Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a mosquito-borne pathogen responsible for neurological disorders (Guillain-Barré syndrome) and congenital malformations (microcephaly). Its ability to cause explosive epidemics, such as that of 2015-16, urges the identification for effective antiviral drugs. Viral polymerase inhibitors constitute one of the most successful fields in antiviral research. Accordingly, the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase activity of flavivirus NS5 protein provides a unique target for the...
- NS1 glycoprotein detection in serum and urine as an electrochemical screening immunosensor for dengue and Zika virus Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The incidence of infection by the dengue virus (DENV) has grown dramatically, reaching 128 countries in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide, with a pattern of hyper-endemicity. DENV is a mosquito-borne disease having four serotypes, one or two circulating in epidemic outbreaks. The diagnosis of DENV is challenging mainly due to the circulation of new viruses with remarkable similarities, such as Zika (ZIKV) that may cause fetal microcephaly. DENV affects 390 million people per year, but...
- Zika virus RNA detection in blood donors in Sao Paulo, Brazil Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: The test showed feasible to be incorporated into the blood screening routine. Our data do not indicate the need to screen for ZIKV RNA in São Paulo during the evaluated period. However, a generic NAT system covering a group of flaviviruses which are circulating in the region, such as DENV and YFV, among others, could be a useful tool.
- Current development of Zika virus vaccines with special emphasis on virus-like particle technology Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
INTRODUCTION: Zika virus disease received little attention until its recent explosive emergence around the globe. The devastating consequences of this pandemic include congenital Zika syndrome (CZS) and the neurological autoimmune disorder Guillain-Barré syndrome. These potential outcomes prompted massive efforts to understand the course of Zika infection and to develop therapeutic and prophylactic strategies for treatment and prevention of disease.
- Zika virus infects Aedes aegypti ovaries Sun, 20 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Pathogens are transmitted from one host to another either by vertical transmission (VT) or horizontal transmission (HT). Mosquito-borne arboviruses (arthropod-borne viruses), including several clinically important viruses such as dengue, Zika, West Nile and chikungunya viruses persist in nature by both VT and HT. VT may also serve as an essential link in the transmission cycle during adverse environmental conditions. VT rates (VTRs) vary between virus families and even among viruses within the...
- Intrauterine exposure to Zika virus and hearing loss within the first few years of life: A systematic literature review Sun, 20 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: It seems to be a possible association between prenatal Zika virus exposure and hearing loss in children during the first years of their life. It is of great importance that in future studies possible confounding factors, like microcephaly, will be appropriately controlled. Additionally, the follow-up period of monitoring hearing loss in children should be prolonged in order to identify potential late onset hearing problems caused by intrauterine exposure to Zika virus.
- Rational selection of hidden epitopes for a molecularly imprinted electrochemical sensor in the recognition of heat-denatured dengue NS1 protein Fri, 18 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Rational selection of predicted peptides to be employed as templates in molecular imprinting was carried out for the heat-denatured non-structural protein 1 (NS1) of dengue virus (DENV). Conservation analysis among 301 sequences of Brazilian isolates of DENV and zika virus (ZIKV) NS1 was carried out by UniProtKB, and peptide selection was based on in silico data of the conservational, structural and immunogenic properties of the sequences. The selected peptide (from dengue 1 NS1) was synthesized...
- Bioengineered Liver Models for Investigating Disease Pathogenesis and Regenerative Medicine Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Owing to species-specific differences in liver pathways, in vitro human liver models are utilized for elucidating mechanisms underlying disease pathogenesis, drug development, and regenerative medicine. To mitigate limitations with de-differentiated cultures, bioengineers have developed advanced techniques/platforms, including micropatterned cocultures, spheroids/organoids, bioprinting, and microfluidic devices, for perfusing cell cultures and liver slices. Such techniques improve mature...
- Permethrin resistance in Aedes aegypti: Genomic variants that confer knockdown resistance, recovery, and death Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Pyrethroids are one of the few classes of insecticides available to control Aedes aegypti, the major vector of dengue, chikungunya, and Zika viruses. Unfortunately, evolving mechanisms of pyrethroid resistance in mosquito populations threaten our ability to control disease outbreaks. Two common pyrethroid resistance mechanisms occur in Ae. aegypti: 1) knockdown resistance, which involves amino acid substitutions at the pyrethroid target site-the voltage-gated sodium channel (VGSC)-and 2)...