Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika and Dengue Neutralizing Human Antibody Distorts Dengue but Not Zika - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News
Wed, 01 Dec 2021 08:00 GMT
- Chikungunya, Zika And Dengue Virus Incidence In Mexico May Be Higher Than Previously Reported - Eurasia Review
Thu, 02 Dec 2021 23:23 GMT
- India Zika outbreak sees surge of nearly 100 cases - CNN
Mon, 08 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Outbreaks of Zika virus reported from UP, Kerala, Maharashtra in 2021: Govt - Economic Times
Fri, 03 Dec 2021 13:41 GMT
- Zika virus outbreaks, an opportunity to improve healthcare in India - The Hindu
Sat, 13 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Secrets of antibodies: When it comes to dengue and Zika, dengue antibodies can knock out Zika—and vice versa - Medical Xpress
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika virus-specific therapy protects the fetal mouse brain - Science Daily
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Neighbourhood-level income and Zika virus infection during pregnancy in Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil: an ecological perspective, 2015-2017 - DocWire News
Fri, 03 Dec 2021 06:00 GMT
- Decidual NK cells kill Zika virus–infected trophoblasts - pnas.org
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika virus infection confirmed in Kozhikode - The Hindu
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:47 GMT
- Zika Virus: highlighting the importance of multi–sectoralty in achieving the Global Health Agenda - The European Sting
Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:42 GMT
- Sixth Zika virus case in Lucknow - Hindustan Times
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika spread: Women and child development dept takes measures to keep shelter home inmates safe - Hindustan Times
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- To Study Zika, They Offered Their Kids. Then They Were Forgotten. - Undark Magazine
Wed, 06 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Uttar Pradesh: After Zika virus, Scrub Typhus case surfaces in Unnao - Times of India
Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - France (03): (BT)
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:28:53 -0400
Yellow Fever, Zika virus, Dengue, Chikungunya -- France
A potentially deadly mosquito that can carry viruses such as yellow fever and Zika has been spotted in Brittany, northern France, sparking fears they may soon land on British shores. Asian tiger mosquitoes [_Aedes albopictus_] have been confirmed to be in the commune of Domagne in the department of Ile-et-Vilaine in western Brittany.
Health authorities are preparing an intensive campaign to rid the area of the insects with strong insecticides.
The creatures were 1st seen in France in the
- Intrauterine Viral Infections: Impact of Inflammation on Fetal Neurodevelopment Fri, 03 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Intrauterine viral infections during pregnancy by pathogens such as Zika virus, Cytomegalovirus, Rubella and Herpes Simplex virus can lead to prenatal as well as postnatal neurodevelopmental disorders. Although maternal viral infections are common during pregnancy, viruses rarely penetrate the trophoblast. When they do cross, viruses can cause adverse congenital health conditions for the fetus. In this context, maternal inflammatory responses to these neurotropic pathogens play a significant...
- Neighbourhood-level income and Zika virus infection during pregnancy in Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil: an ecological perspective, 2015-2017 Fri, 03 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Zika virus (ZIKV) infections during pregnancy can lead to adverse neurodevelopmental and clinical outcomes in congenitally infected offspring. As the city of Recife in Pernambuco State, Brazil-the epicentre of the Brazilian microcephaly epidemic-has considerable disparities in living conditions, this study used an ecological approach to investigate the association between income at the neighbourhood level and the risk of ZIKV infections in pregnant individuals between December 2015 and April...
- How a broadly neutralizing antibody grapples with antigenic and conformational diversity in dengue virus Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
In this issue of Cell, two studies apply powerful structural approaches to probe the modes of interaction between a broadly neutralizing antibody and a conserved epitope found on four dengue virus serotypes and Zika virus. These findings offer new insights into how a broadly neutralizing antibody surmounts antigenic and conformational variation.
- Experiences of women with Zika virus (ZIKV) versus the provision of health services in two cities in Colombia: A qualitative study Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS: In the health care of ZIKV epidemics, it is necessary to include the gender perspective, more specifically, sexual and reproductive rights. In addition, these epidemics must be addressed through a comprehensive, appropriate, and not fragmented health system, in which sexual and reproductive rights must be mainstreamed in all health promotion and prevention programs.
- Impact of the introduction of chikungunya and zika viruses on the incidence of dengue in endemic zones of Mexico Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS AND SIGNIFICANCE: The results obtained in this study show for the first time the real impact on the detected incidence of dengue after the introduction of CHIKV and ZIKV in Mexico, the degree of underestimation of these arboviruses in the country, as well as the co-infections between these viruses, whose importance clinical and epidemiological are still unknown.
- The epitope arrangement on flavivirus particles contributes to Mab C10's extraordinary neutralization breadth across Zika and dengue viruses Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
The human monoclonal antibody C10 exhibits extraordinary cross-reactivity, potently neutralizing Zika virus (ZIKV) and the four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV1-DENV4). Here we describe a comparative structure-function analysis of C10 bound to the envelope (E) protein dimers of the five viruses it neutralizes. We demonstrate that the C10 Fab has high affinity for ZIKV and DENV1 but not for DENV2, DENV3, and DENV4. We further show that the C10 interaction with the latter viruses requires an E...
- Human antibody C10 neutralizes by diminishing Zika but enhancing dengue virus dynamics Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
The human monoclonal antibody (HmAb) C10 potently cross-neutralizes Zika virus (ZIKV) and dengue virus. Analysis of antibody fragment (Fab) C10 interactions with ZIKV and dengue virus serotype 2 (DENV2) particles by cryoelectron microscopy (cryo-EM) and amide hydrogen/deuterium exchange mass spectrometry (HDXMS) shows that Fab C10 binding decreases overall ZIKV particle dynamics, whereas with DENV2, the same Fab causes increased dynamics. Testing of different Fab C10:DENV2 E protein molar ratios...
- A new insight into the definition of microcephaly in Zika congenital syndrome era Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
This study aimed to compare the anthropometric measurements and body proportionalities of neonates born before the Zika virus epidemic with those born during this period. We compared 958 neonates born during the pre-Zika epidemic with 264 neonates born during the epidemic period. The newborns had their head circumference, weight, and length classified according to the Fenton & Kim growth chart. We considered disproportionate those individuals that presented microcephaly and adequate weight or...
- Starvation at the larval stage increases the vector competence of Aedes aegypti females for Zika virus Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Aedes aegypti is the primary vector of Zika virus (ZIKV), a flavivirus which typically presents itself as febrile-like symptoms in humans but can also cause neurological and pregnancy complications. The transmission cycle of mosquito-borne arboviruses such as ZIKV requires that various key tissues in the female mosquito including the salivary glands get productively infected with the virus before the mosquito can transmit the virus to another vertebrate host. Following ingestion of a viremic...
- Middle Cerebral Artery Dopplers and Abnormal Neonatal Outcomes among Pregnant Women with Zika Virus Infection Sun, 28 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSION: In ZIKV-infected pregnancies, lower MCA PSV and PSV MoM measurements were seen with abnormal neonatal outcomes. This may represent a physiologic response to fetal ZIKV infection. Evaluation of MCA Dopplers may be of clinical utility in the surveillance of ZIKV-affected pregnancies.