Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- $1.9 million award could keep Zika virus at bay - EurekAlert
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:32 GMT
- Zika virus helps destroy deadly brain cancer in mice - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:00 GMT
- Health Alert: Peruvian Ministry of Health warns of increased cases of Zika, dengue, and chikungunya (March 25, 2021) | US Embassy in Peru - US Embassy in Peru - USEmbassy.gov
Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:00 GMT
- Successful Zika vaccine in preclinical studies: The vaccine is generated from a novel platform technology - Science Daily
Thu, 01 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- LSU Health New Orleans study discovers source of Zika neurodevelopmental defects - EurekAlert
Tue, 06 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Study discovers how microcephaly and blindness may develop in Zika-infected fetuses - News-Medical.Net
Tue, 06 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- What happened to… Zika virus - Global News
Thu, 08 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Global Zika Virus Testing Market 2021 SWOT Analysis – Chembio, Quest Diagnostics, ARUP Laboratories, Luminex, Simens, Abbott Molecular – The Courier - The Courier
Wed, 21 Apr 2021 04:25 GMT
- Nutrient compound shows promise for halting mother-to-fetus Zika transmission - Medical Xpress
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Testing Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis By 2027 – NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ
Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:12 GMT
- Billions spent on coronavirus fight, but what happens next? - ABC News
Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:13 GMT
- Zika 5 years later: Still much to learn as 'likely' future outbreak looms - Healio
Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Testing Market 2021: Detailed Analysis of Current and Future Industry Analysis till 2028 and Major Players are Luminex Corporation,NecLife – FLA News - FLA News
Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:08 GMT
- Why Zika Never Exploded In Africa: A New Study Offers Clues : Goats and Soda - NPR
Fri, 20 Nov 2020 08:00 GMT
- Tropical species are moving northward as winters warm - Lake County News
Sun, 18 Apr 2021 09:36 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Zika virus (02): Americas, Africa, research, observations
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 11:52:09 -0400
Zika virus -- Costa Rica
Zika virus (ZIKV) may cause severe congenital disease after maternal-fetal transmission. No vaccine is currently available.
To assess the safety and immunogenicity of Ad26.ZIKV.001, a prophylactic ZIKV vaccine candidate.
Phase 1 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. (ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT03356561)
100 healthy adult volunteers.
Ad26.ZIKV.001, an adenovirus serotype 26
- Detection of Cell-Fusing Agent virus across ecologically diverse populations of Aedes aegypti on the Caribbean island of Saint Lucia Wed, 21 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Background. Outbreaks of mosquito-borne arboviral diseases including dengue virus (DENV), Zika virus (ZIKV), yellow fever virus (YFV) and chikungunya virus (CHIKV) have recently occurred in the Caribbean. The geographical range of the principal vectors responsible for transmission, Aedes (Ae.) aegypti and Ae. albopictus are increasing and greater mosquito surveillance is needed in the Caribbean given international tourism is so prominent. The island of Saint Lucia has seen outbreaks of DENV and...
- West Nile and Zika viruses in bats from a suburban area of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Infections with viruses of the Flavivirus genus were explored in 22 bats (Artibeus jamaicensis) from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. The detection of the viral genus was performed by RT-PCR, and infections with dengue (DENV 1-4), West Nile (WNV) and Zika (ZIKV) viruses were subsequently explored. Sequences from positive products were analysed using the BLAST algorithm to determine identity. In 7 (31.8%) and 2 (9.1%) bats, WNV and ZIKV were identified, respectively. The bioinformatic analysis showed...
- Zika-exposed microcephalic neonates exhibit higher degree of inflammatory imbalance in cerebrospinal fluid Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Not every neonate with congenital Zika virus (ZIKV) infection (CZI) is born with microcephaly. We compared inflammation mediators in CSF (cerebrospinal fluid obtained from lumbar puncture) between ZIKV-exposed neonates with/without microcephaly (cases) and controls. In Brazil, in the same laboratory, we identified 14 ZIKV-exposed neonates during the ZIKV epidemic (2015-2016), 7(50%) with and 7(50%) without microcephaly, without any other congenital infection, and 14 neonates (2017-2018) eligible...
- The Neurobiology of Modern Viral Scourges: ZIKV and COVID-19 Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The interactions of viruses with the nervous system were thought to be well understood until the recent outbreaks of Zika and SARS-CoV-2. In this review, we consider these emerging pathogens, the range and mechanisms of the neurological disease in humans, and how the biomedical research enterprise has pivoted to answer questions about viral pathogenesis, immune response, and the special vulnerability of the nervous system. ZIKV stands out as the only new virus in a generation, associating with...
- Targeting the NS2B-NS3 protease of tick-borne encephalitis virus with pan-flaviviral protease inhibitors Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) is a severe neurological disorder caused by tick-borne encephalitis virus (TBEV), a member of the Flavivirus genus. Currently, two vaccines are available in Europe against TBEV. However, TBE cases have been rising in Sweden for the past twenty years, and thousands of cases are reported in Europe, emphasizing the need for antiviral treatments against this virus. The NS2B-NS3 protease is essential for flaviviral life cycle and has been studied as a target for the...
- Language delay was associated with a smaller head circumference at birth in asymptomatic infants prenatally exposed to the Zika virus Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: Language delay was associated with a smaller head circumference at birth in infants prenatally exposed to the Zika virus and born asymptomatic. This may indicate future learning difficulties.
- Diagnostic performance of anti-Zika virus IgM, IgAM and IgG ELISAs during co-circulation of Zika, dengue, and chikungunya viruses in Brazil and Venezuela Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS/SIGNIFICANCE: Our findings exemplify the challenges of the assessment of test performance for ZIKV serological tests in the real-world setting, during co-circulation of DENV, ZIKV, and CHIKV. However, we can also demonstrate that the IgAM immunoassay exhibits superior sensitivity to detect ZIKV RT-PCR confirmed infections compared to IgG and IgM immunoassays. The IgAM assay also proves to be promising for detection of anti-ZIKV seroconversions in sequential samples, both in ZIKV...
- The dinucleotide composition of the Zika virus genome is shaped by conflicting evolutionary pressures in mammalian hosts and mosquito vectors Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Most vertebrate RNA viruses show pervasive suppression of CpG and UpA dinucleotides, closely resembling the dinucleotide composition of host cell transcriptomes. In contrast, CpG suppression is absent in both invertebrate mRNA and RNA viruses that exclusively infect arthropods. Arthropod-borne (arbo) viruses are transmitted between vertebrate hosts by invertebrate vectors and thus encounter potentially conflicting evolutionary pressures in the different cytoplasmic environments. Using a newly...
- Complexities of Zika Diagnosis and Evaluation in a U.S. Congenital Zika Program Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The objective of the study was to describe the complexity of diagnosis and evaluation of Zika-exposed pregnant women/fetuses and infants in a U.S. Congenital Zika Program. Pregnant women/fetuses and/or infants referred for clinical evaluation to the Congenital Zika Program at Children's National (Washington, DC) from January 2016 to June 2018 were included. We recorded the timing of maternal Zika-virus (ZIKV) exposure and ZIKV laboratory testing results. Based on laboratory testing, cases were...
- Addressing COVID-19 vulnerabilities: How do we achieve global health security in an inequitable world Mon, 19 Apr 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The spread of the serve acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which causes COVID-19, [WHO. (2019). Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it] and is responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic is another in a long line of Coronavirus outbreak - and unlikely to be the last. More than a year into the...