Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Scarred by Zika and fearing new COVID-19 variants, Brazilian women say no to another pandemic pregnancy - The Conversation US
Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- $1.9 million award could keep Zika virus at bay - EurekAlert
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Nutrient compound shows promise for halting mother-to-fetus Zika transmission - Nebraska Today
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- After years of public and regulatory resistance in the US, first batch of mosquitoes genetically engineered to end Zika, dengue and other transmittable diseases are released - Genetic Literacy Project
Fri, 07 May 2021 04:01 GMT
- PLOS Papers on Lipid-Related Heart, Diabetes Variants in Finland; Zika Lipidome; Glioma Prognosis - GenomeWeb
Mon, 03 May 2021 16:41 GMT
- Phase I Trial Of An Adenovirus Vector Vaccine for Zika Virus Shows High Immunogenicity And Safety - Infectious Disease Advisor
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Scarred by Zika, Brazilian women say 'no' to pandemic pregnancies - The Brazilian Report
Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Genetically modified mosquito larvae to be released in Florida Keys - The Guardian
Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:00 GMT
- Bug Off: Advice for battling feisty mosquitoes this season - WJXT News4JAX
Wed, 05 May 2021 16:42 GMT
- State, congressional leaders push for child care overhaul - East Oregonian
Mon, 03 May 2021 16:00 GMT
- Global Zika Virus Testing Market Sizing, company Share Analysis Model and Development Factor 2021-2027 – KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper
Wed, 05 May 2021 03:12 GMT
- Zika virus infection drug Market Set to Witness Huge Growth and Competitive Outlook – The Courier - The Courier
Mon, 03 May 2021 17:01 GMT
- Zika 5 years later: Still much to learn as 'likely' future outbreak looms - Healio
Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:00 GMT
- Global Zika Virus Testing Market 2020 Industry Overview – Chembio, ELITech, Molecular, Diagnostics, – The Courier - The Courier
Tue, 04 May 2021 08:52 GMT
- CARPHA warns of mosquitoes as rainy season approaches - Nation News
Fri, 07 May 2021 14:00 GMT
- PRO> Vector mosquito control - USA: (FL)
Wed, 05 May 2021 17:31:47 -0400
Other Human Disease -- United States
After a decade of fighting for regulatory approval and public acceptance, a biotechnology firm has released genetically engineered mosquitoes into the open air in the United States for the first time. The experiment, launched this week in the Florida Keys (over the objections of some local critics), tests a method for suppressing populations of wild _Aedes aegypti_ mosquitoes, which can carry diseases such as Zika, dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever.
Oxitec, the firm based in Abingdon,
- Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection: A case report with long term follow up Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
A 50-years old male presented with quadriplegia and paresthesia and was diagnosed as Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS). He was found positive for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) six weeks prior to the onset of weakness. GBS disability score was 4. Electrophysiology showed acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculopathy. Anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG was found positive. Immunological tests for Campylobacter jejuni, Zika virus, Hepatitis E virus, Herpes Simplex virus, Haemophilus...
- Identification of juvenile hormone-induced posttranslational modifications of methoprene tolerant and Krüppel homolog 1 in the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Recent studies reported that JH regulated phosphorylation status of the JH-receptor complex contributes to its transcription activity in Aedes aegypti. However, phosphorylation sites of these proteins have not yet been identified. In this study, we found that the fusion of an EGFP tag to Ae. aegypti Kr-h1 (AaKr-h1) and Met (AaMet) improved their stability in mosquito Aag-2 cells, which allowed their purification. The liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry analysis of the purified...
- Therapeutic targets and biological mechanisms of action of curcumin against Zika virus: in silico and in vitro analyses Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a mosquito-borne flavivirus, that could cause congenital Zika syndrome (CZS), characterized by microcephaly, neurological complications and fetal deaths. No specific treatments for ZIKV are currently available, highlighting the urgent global need to identify and develop therapeutic agents. Drug repositioning of approved natural compounds can provide effective alternative solutions for novel antiviral development. The current study focused on curcumin, a component of turmeric...
- Factors associated with increased odds of sensorineural hearing loss in infants exposed to the Zika virus during pregnancy Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Hearing loss was a frequent event in ZIKV-exposed children, particularly among those with microcephaly. Our results highlight the relevance of systematic hearing screening.
- Employing Different Traps for Collection of Mosquitoes and Detection of Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika Vector, Aedes albopictus, in Borderline of Iran and Pakistan Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: The resulting data collected here on the efficiency of the various trap types can be useful for monitoring the densities of mosquito populations, which is an important component of a vector surveillance system. While the presence of Ae. albopictus was determined in this potential risk area, there is no evidence for its establishment and further monitoring needs to be carried out.
- Repeated exposure to dengue virus elicits robust cross neutralizing antibodies against Zika virus in residents of Northeastern Thailand Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) and dengue virus (DENV) are antigenically related mosquito-borne flaviviruses. ZIKV is becoming increasingly prevalent in DENV-endemic regions, raising the possibility that pre-existing immunity to one virus could modulate the response to a heterologous virus, although whether this would be beneficial or detrimental is unclear. Here, we analyzed sera from residents of a DENV-endemic region of Thailand to determine the prevalence of DENV-elicited antibodies capable of...
- Structures of flavivirus RNA promoters suggest two binding modes with NS5 polymerase Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Flaviviruses use a ~70 nucleotide stem-loop structure called stem-loop A (SLA) at the 5' end of the RNA genome as a promoter for RNA synthesis. Flaviviral polymerase NS5 specifically recognizes SLA to initiate RNA synthesis and methylate the 5' guanosine cap. We report the crystal structures of dengue (DENV) and Zika virus (ZIKV) SLAs. DENV and ZIKV SLAs differ in the relative orientations of their top stem-loop helices to bottom stems, but both form an intermolecular three-way junction with a...
- Meningoencephalitis associated with Zika virus and Chikungunya virus infection Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Etiology of viral meningoencephalitis is frequently unidentified. Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) and Zika virus (ZIKV) have been known to affect the central nervous system, and should, therefore, be considered for diagnosis of meningoencephalitis since its outcome may be influenced by the etiologic agent, age and immunological condition of the patient. In this study we aimed to determine if CHIKV and ZIKV were the etiological agent of viral encephalitis in meningoencephalitis patients admitted to the...
- Zika Prevention Behaviors Among Women of Reproductive Age in Puerto Rico, 2016 Thu, 06 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Receipt of healthcare provider counseling was more consistently associated with Zika virus prevention behaviors than pregnancy status. Healthcare provider counseling is an important strategy for increasing the uptake of Zika virus prevention behaviors among women aged 18-49 years.
- Global patterns of aegyptism without arbovirus Wed, 05 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The world's most important mosquito vector of viruses, Aedes aegypti, is found around the world in tropical, subtropical and even some temperate locations. While climate change may limit populations of Ae. aegypti in some regions, increasing temperatures will likely expand its territory thus increasing risk of human exposure to arboviruses in places like Europe, Northern Australia and North America, among many others. Most studies of Ae. aegypti biology and virus transmission focus on locations...