Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika virus 'not controllable': CDC director's grim warning - KHOU.com
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 00:08 GMT
- 2 new non-travel related Zika cases found in Miami-Dade - 7News - WSVN-TV
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:17 GMT
- 2 more local Zika cases in Miami-Dade - WJXT Jacksonville
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:10 GMT
- Zika Patient in Chula Vista Neighborhood Prompts County to Spray Area - NBC 7 San Diego
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:10 GMT
- Photos: Giant Zika Mosquitoes Invade Miami, Declare 'We Love Monkey Prisons' - PETA (blog) (press release)
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:07 GMT
- Health warning after two catch zika virus in Florida - The Times (subscription)
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:59 GMT
- Travel-related Zika virus case: County officials to spray Chula Vista neighborhood for mosquitoes - 10News
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:48 GMT
- Another Zika case in Volusia - Daytona Beach News-Journal
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:32 GMT
- CMV a greater threat to infants than Zika, but far less discussed - Houston Chronicle
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:44 GMT
- Miami's Homegrown Zika Tally Still Rising - Newsmax
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:30 GMT
- PRO/ALL> New in IJID (05): October 2016
Other Human Disease -- Worldwide/Unknown
A Global Antimicrobial Conservation Fund for Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Mendelson M, Dar OA, Hoffman SJ, et al. Int J Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 16;51:70-72. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2016.09.016, PMID: 27647658.
What is the Research Agenda in Ventilator-associated Pneumonia?
Rello J and Bunsow E. Int J Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 21. pii: S1201-9712(16)31176-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2016.09.019, PMID: 27664931.
The ever changing landscape of Zika virus infection. Learning on the fly