Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- To Study Zika, They Offered Their Kids. Then They Were Forgotten. - Undark Magazine
Wed, 06 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- To study Zika, they offered their kids. Then they were forgotten. : Goats and Soda - NPR
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 19:04 GMT
- Zika virus found in UP: Spread, symptoms, treatment. All you need to know - Mint
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:44 GMT
- A mutation-mediated evolutionary adaptation of Zika virus in mosquito and mammalian host - pnas.org
Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- India’s Zika Virus Concerns Continue - Zika News
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 18:37 GMT
- Mechanism of Zika neurological complications revealed - BioTechniques.com
Fri, 08 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Family of Zika virus patient in Uttar Pradesh test negative - The Hans India
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 04:48 GMT
- University of São Paulo: Zika virus injection treatment destroys brain tumor in rodents without causing neurological damage - India Education Diary
Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:42 GMT
- Impact of congenital Zika virus and COVID‐19 on childhood disability in Latin America - Wiley
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika virus in Kerala state, India: WHO details - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- India: Delhi dengue count tops 1,000, Zika case in Uttar Pradesh - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:15 GMT
- Virus outbreak declared as pregnant woman tests positive for Zika virus - WHO warning - Daily Express
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Vaccines Industry Global Market Size, Share, Supply, Demand, Segments and Forecast 2021-2025 – The Host - The Host
Thu, 28 Oct 2021 04:59 GMT
- Zika infection surfaces again in Thiruvananthapuram - The New Indian Express
Tue, 05 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- News18 Afternoon Digest: Know About Symptoms, Treatment of Zika Virus and Other Top Stories - News18
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 06:58 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - France (03): (BT)
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:28:53 -0400
Yellow Fever, Zika virus, Dengue, Chikungunya -- France
A potentially deadly mosquito that can carry viruses such as yellow fever and Zika has been spotted in Brittany, northern France, sparking fears they may soon land on British shores. Asian tiger mosquitoes [_Aedes albopictus_] have been confirmed to be in the commune of Domagne in the department of Ile-et-Vilaine in western Brittany.
Health authorities are preparing an intensive campaign to rid the area of the insects with strong insecticides.
The creatures were 1st seen in France in the
- Zika virus infection and microcephaly: spatial analysis and socio-environmental determinants in a region of high Aedes aegypti infestation in the Central-West Region of Brazil Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Our analyses were able to capture, in a more granular way, aspects that make it possible to inform public managers of the sentinel areas identified in the post-epidemic hotspots.
- Mitophagy antagonism by ZIKV reveals Ajuba as a regulator of PINK1 signaling, PKR-dependent inflammation, and viral invasion of tissues Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Dysregulated inflammation dominated by chemokine expression is a key feature of disease following infection with the globally important human pathogens Zika virus (ZIKV) and dengue virus, but a mechanistic understanding of how pro-inflammatory responses are initiated is lacking. Mitophagy is a quality-control mechanism that regulates innate immune signaling and cytokine production through selective degradation of damaged mitochondria. Here, we demonstrate that ZIKV nonstructural protein 5 (NS5)...
- Understanding COVID-19 in the light of epidemic disease described in Unani medicine Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Unani system of medicine is based on the humoral theory postulated by Hippocrates, according to him the state of body health and disease are regulated by qualitative and quantitative equilibrium of four humours. Amraz-e-Waba is an umbrella term which is used in Unani medicine for all types of epidemics (smallpox, measles, plague, Hameer Saifi, influenza, Nipaha, Ebola, Zika, and 2019 novel coronavirus, etc.) mostly fatal in nature. The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a severe acute...
- Proteomic profiles of Zika virus-infected placentas bearing fetuses with microcephaly Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) transmission to the fetus during pregnancy could enable a collection of severe fetal malformations like microcephaly (MC), termed Congenital Zika Syndrome (CZS). The mechanisms involved in ZIKV transplacental transmission are not fully understood. Here we aim to identify in placental tissues the deregulated proteins associated with ZIKV-induced MC using label-free proteomics. We found proteins associated with DNA damage and gene expression inhibition up-regulated in infected...
- Magnitude of Antibody Cross-Reactivity in Medically Important Mosquito-Borne Flaviviruses: A Systematic Review Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: This review found the highest cross-reaction between DENV and non-DENV flaviviruses, especially yellow fever virus, and the least between chikungunya virus and DENV. Moreover, cross-reaction was higher on IgG assays than IgM ones and assays based on Eprotein compared to NS1protein. This implies that the reliability of serological test results in areas where more than one flavivirus exists is questionable. Therefore, interpretation of the existing serological assays should be...
- Microclimate and the vertical stratification of potential bridge vectors of mosquito‑borne viruses captured by nets and ovitraps in a central Amazonian forest bordering Manaus, Brazil Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
In the Americas, some mosquito-borne viruses such as Zika, chikungunya, and dengue circulate among humans in urban transmission cycles, while others, including yellow fever and Mayaro, circulate among monkeys in sylvatic cycles. The intersection of humans and wildlife at forest edges creates risk for zoonotic virus exchange. We built a scaffold tower at the edge of a treefall gap in rainforest bordering Manaus, Brazil, to identify vectors that may bridge transmission between humans and monkeys....
- Juvenile hormone analog enhances Zika virus infection in Aedes aegypti Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
In recent years, there has been a rise in the emergence of arboviruses of public health importance, including Zika, chikungunya, dengue, and yellow fever viruses. Insecticide-based mosquito control has been the primary method for mitigating transmission of arboviruses. The consequences for the application of insecticides include both lethal and sublethal effects, and associated development of insecticide resistance. However, little is known about the influence on arboviral transmission....
- Educational behaviors of pregnant women in the Bronx during Zika's International emerging epidemic: "First mom and then I'd Google. And then my doctor" Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Television played an important role in providing awareness about Zika to pregnant women in the Bronx, but that information was incomplete. The internet and healthcare providers were sources of more complete information and are likely the most influential. Efforts to educate pregnant women about emerging infectious diseases will benefit from using a variety of approaches including television messages that promote public awareness followed up by reliable information via the internet...
- Optimal flexibility of the linker region of Zika virus NS5 methyltransferase-polymerase is critical for virus replication Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The flavivirus NS5 protein contains an N-terminal methyl-transferase (MTase) connected through a flexible linker with a C-terminal RNA-dependent RNA-polymerase (RdRp) domain, that work cooperatively to replicate and methylate the viral genome. In this study we probed the importance of an evolutionary-conserved hydrophobic residue (Val266) located at the start of the ten-residue interdomain linker of Zika virus (ZIKV) NS5. In flavivirus NS5 crystal structures, the start of the linker forms a...
- Serological Markers of Viral Infections (Rubella Virus, Human Cytomegalovirus and Arboviruses) among Symptomatic Pregnant Women in Rural and Urban Areas of Mwanza, Tanzania Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Viral infections have been associated with poor pregnancy outcomes. We investigated the magnitude of rubella virus (RV), dengue virus (DENV), Zika virus (ZIKV) and human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) among symptomatic pregnant women in rural and urban areas of Mwanza. A cross-sectional study was conducted between July 2017 and April 2018 in Mwanza. A rapid immunochromatographic test was done to detect ZIKV IgM and IgG as well as DENV IgM and IgG antibodies. A multiplex_RT-PCR was also done to detect...