Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika spreads rapidly in India, with 94 cases confirmed
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:36 GMT
- Zika Cases Rise; Baby Born With Zika 'syndrome'
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 11:40 GMT
- Zika in Africa: Rare birth defect on the rise in Angola
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 05:38 GMT
- Why it's so hard to diagnose Zika
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 05:38 GMT
- Co-Diagnostics (CODX) Receives CE Mark for Zika Screening Test
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 10:35 GMT
- Mothers of babies afflicted by Zika fight poverty, despair
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 05:40 GMT
- Co-Diagnostics receives CE mark for Zika screening test
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 11:49 GMT
- Researchers identify new approach for controlling dengue fever and Zika virus
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:31 GMT
- Meghan Markle baby: Is there Zika virus in Australia, Fiji, Tonga, and New Zealand?
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:29 GMT
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Will Travel to Zika-Affected Countries While Expecting Their First Child
Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:41 GMT
- Understanding Zika
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:11 GMT
- Pregnancy, Zika, microcephaly: Three countries, same concerns
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 23:06 GMT
- Pregnant Duchess Meghan Not Visiting Jungles Due to Zika Risk
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:14 GMT
- Florida Zika Cases Rise; Baby Born With 'Syndrome'
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:42 GMT
- Mosquito capable of carrying Zika virus found in Albuquerque
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 23:54 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Chikungunya (06): Africa (Sudan) mixed outbreak
Mon, 08 Oct 2018 23:31:26 -0400
Chikungunya -- Sudan
The Federal Ministry of Health in recent times has informed WHO of an outbreak of chikungunya that has affected eastern states. To date, a total of 13 430 suspected cases were reported from the country, primarily from Kassala and Red Sea state. Samples have been tested both by PCR and by serology. A number of samples have also been tested positive for dengue fever.
Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease. It can be easily be mistaken for other arboviral diseases such as dengue or Zika