Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Zika virus transmission, symptoms, prevention explained - Hindustan Times
Sun, 01 Aug 2021 05:55 GMT
- Government strictly monitoring districts to preclude spread of Zika virus: Maharashtra Minister - The Hindu
Tue, 03 Aug 2021 13:35 GMT
- Zika virus: Symptoms, prevention, history and treatment. Check all details - Mint
Fri, 09 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika Virus: Cases Jump to 44 in Kerala; Here's All You Need to Know About the Disease | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com - The Weather Channel
Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Detected in India's Kerala State - Voice of America
Fri, 09 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Mapping dengue hot spots pinpoints risks for Zika and chikungunya - Emory News Center
Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Kerala reports 5 new Zika virus cases, 7 active cases in state - Mint
Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:45 GMT
- Mexico: Morelos state reports 20 locally transmitted Zika cases, including pregnant women - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Sun, 01 Aug 2021 23:12 GMT
- Science News Releases - EurekAlert
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Tied in knots: Zika virus tangles are the most stable RNA known - Nature.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Five more test positive for Zika virus in Kerala - India Today
Fri, 16 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Mosquito Prone To Carrying Zika Virus Identified In Wayne County - WKAR
Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- Zika virus disease: 3 more test positive in Kerala as tally goes past 40, says health minister Veena George - Hindustan Times
Wed, 21 Jul 2021 07:00 GMT
- With 5 new cases, total of 61 people infected with Zika virus in Kerala - India Today
Thu, 29 Jul 2021 19:14 GMT
- Maharashtra reports first Zika case in Pune, Centre rushes expert team to state - Economic Times
Mon, 02 Aug 2021 13:30 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - Canada: (ON)
Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:41:37 -0400
Zika virus -- Canada
Mosquito surveillance efforts in Windsor-Essex [Ontario, Canada] have detected a tropical invasive mosquito that can potentially spread the Zika virus.
The mosquito, known as _Aedes albopictus_, was found within Windsor city limits, according to the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit [WECHU], which carries out mosquito surveillance.
The mosquito is capable of transmitting the Zika virus, but it's not likely to be the main spreader of the infection, since it feeds on animals in addition to
- Risk factors for neurological complications in children with Flavivirus infection Tue, 03 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
This study aims to characterize the acute neurological manifestations caused by DENV, ZIKV, and YFV during hospitalization; identify the risk factors associated with persistent neurological complications after discharge; and evaluate the time to resolution during clinical follow-up. A prospective study evaluated 505 children, between March 2014 and July 2019, hospitalized with neurological manifestations and that doctors suspected infection of the central nervous system (CNS). Viral infection of...
- Epidemics of chikungunya, Zika, and COVID-19 reveal bias in case-based mapping Tue, 03 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Explosive epidemics of chikungunya, Zika, and COVID-19 have recently occurred worldwide, all of which featured large proportions of subclinical infections. Spatial studies of infectious disease epidemics typically use symptomatic infections (cases) to estimate incidence rates (cases/total population), often misinterpreting them as infection risks (infections/total population) or disease risks (cases/infected population). We examined these three measures in a pediatric cohort (Nâ‰ˆ3,000) over two...
- NS5-independent ablation of STAT2 by Zika virus to antagonize interferon signaling Tue, 03 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Flavivirus genus includes numerous arthropod-borne human pathogens that are clinically important. Flaviviruses are notorious for their ability to antagonize host interferon (IFN) induced anti-viral signaling. It has been documented that NS5s of flaviviruses mediate proteasome degradation of STAT2 to evade IFN signaling. Deciphering the molecular mechanism of the IFN antagonism by the viruses and reversing this antagonism may dictate anti-viral responses and provide novel antiviral approaches. In...
- Social Stressors, Arboviral Infection, and Immune Dysregulation in the Coastal Lowland Region of Ecuador: A Mixed Methods Approach in Ecological Perspective Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Aedes aegypti, the mosquito that transmits arboviral diseases such as dengue (DENV), chikungunya (CHIKV), and Zika viruses (ZIKV), is present in tropical and subtropical regions of the world. Individuals at risk of mosquito-borne disease (MBD) in the urban tropics face daily challenges linked to their socio-environment conditions, such as poor infrastructure, poverty, crowding, and limited access to adequate healthcare. These daily demands induce chronic stress events and dysregulated immune...
- Standardization and Evaluation of an Anti-ZIKV IgM ELISA Assay for the Serological Diagnosis of Zika Virus Infection Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Here, we describe the development of the in-house anti-Zika virus (ZIKV) IgM antibody capture ELISA (in-house ZIKV IgM ELISA) for the detection and diagnosis of acute ZIKV infections. We compared the in-house ZIKV IgM ELISA assay performance against two commercial kits, Euroimmun ZIKV IgM and InBios 2.0 ZIKV IgM ELISA. We tested the assays' ability to detect anti-ZIKV IgM using a well-defined serum sample panel. This panel included 80 ZIKV negative samples (20 negative, 20 found to be primary...
- Zika virus NS2A inhibits interferon signaling by degradation of STAT1 and STAT2 Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The Interferon (IFN) response is crucial to restrain pathogenic infections. Investigations into flavivirus-host interactions reported that the high virulence is linked to innate immune evasion. Zika Virus (ZIKV) has developed diversified strategies to evade the innate immune system. We report that the viral protein NS2A counteracts the IFN response by strongly suppressing the IFN signaling. NS2A targets transcription factors STAT1 and STAT2, to impede their nuclear localization, thereby...
- Spatial analysis of the incidence of dengue, Zika, and chikungunya and socioeconomic determinants in the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
- Prevalence and trend of emerging and re-emerging arboviral infections in the state of Odisha Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Newly emerging or re-emerging infections are posing continuous threat to both public health system and clinical care globally. The emergence of infections especially caused by arboviruses can be linked to several mechanisms which include geographical expansion linked to human development and transportation, global warming, enhanced transmission in peridomestic area and close proximity of human habitations to domestic as well as wild animals. The co-circulation of Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika is...
- Prevalence of the SNP rs10774671 of the OAS1 gene in Mexico as a possible predisposing factor for RNA virus disease Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Our population is genetically susceptible to RNA virus disease due to the predominant presence of the A allele of rs10774671 in the OAS1 gene.
- Inhibition of Tryptophan Catabolism Is Associated With Neuroprotection During Zika Virus Infection Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Zika virus (ZIKV) is an arbovirus belonging to Flaviviridae family that emerged as a global health threat due to its association with microcephaly and other severe neurological complications, including Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) and Congenital Zika Syndrome (CZS). ZIKV disease has been linked to neuroinflammation and neuronal cell death. Neurodegenerative processes may be exacerbated by metabolites produced by the kynurenine pathway, an important pathway for the degradation of tryptophan,...