Zika Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Zika virus. Zika virus (ZIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the flavivirus genus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease (Zika) are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eye. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon. The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, which are diseases caused by other viruses spread by the same type of mosquitoes. Zika virus can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. There have been reports of a serious birth defect of the brain called microcephaly and other poor pregnancy outcomes in babies of mothers who were infected with Zika virus while pregnant. On February 1st, 2016, the WHO declared the Zika outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). As of August 2017 the number of new Zika virus cases in the Americas had fallen dramatically.
The objectives of Zika Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for zika fever and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to zika.
- Should the United States keep screening all blood donations for Zika? - Stanford University News
Tue, 02 Mar 2021 23:51 GMT
- New Research on Zika Virus Touts Promising Vaccine Candidate - Courthouse News Service
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika roadmap outlines steps toward diagnostics, treatment, vaccines - CIDRAP
Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:43 GMT
- Zika vaccine candidate shows promise in phase I trial - EurekAlert
Mon, 15 Feb 2021 08:00 GMT
- Scientists reveal details of antibodies that work against Zika virus - Science Daily
Thu, 25 Feb 2021 08:00 GMT
- How Zika virus is transmitted from mother to fetus during pregnancy - Science Daily
Wed, 03 Feb 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika Vaccines Market Current Industry Trend, Latest Development, Growth Estimation, Analysis by Size - PharmiWeb.com
Tue, 02 Mar 2021 11:37 GMT
- Zika Virus Testing Market Witnesses Fast Growth with CAGR of 2.8% by 2020 | Challenges, Opportunitie - PharmiWeb.com
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 09:52 GMT
- Models to predict dengue, zika and yellow fever outbreaks are developed by researchers - EurekAlert
Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:33 GMT
- Lawmakers look to bolster civics education - WMBB - mypanhandle.com
Thu, 04 Mar 2021 20:45 GMT
- House gives initial approval to bill targeting pandemic scams - Florida Politics
Thu, 04 Mar 2021 21:28 GMT
- Florida Republicans want public schools to teach the 'horrors' of communist and socialist governments - Creative Loafing Tampa
Thu, 04 Mar 2021 20:23 GMT
- State lawmakers aim to crack down on pandemic fraud - WWSB
Wed, 24 Feb 2021 08:00 GMT
- Zika Virus Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Bharat Biotech, Inovio Pharmaceuticals and GeneOne Life Sciences, Intrexon, Cerus, Sanofi, etc. – The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network
Fri, 05 Mar 2021 04:20 GMT
- PAHO urges early detection of congenital defects - Pan American Health Organization
Tue, 02 Mar 2021 19:25 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Zika virus (01): Americas, research, observations
Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:32:29 -0500
Zika virus -- United States
Domesticating Zika virus
Why hasn't Zika virus (ZIKV) disease caused as much devastation in Africa, its continent of origin, as it has in the Americas? Outside of Africa, this flavivirus is transmitted by a ubiquitous mosquito subspecies, _Aedes aegypti aegypti_, which emerged from the African forerunner subspecies _Aedes aegypti formosus_ and acquired a preference for human blood and a peridomestic lifestyle. Now, this subspecies colonizes many intertropical cities,
- Landscape of Monoclonal Antibodies Targeting Zika and Dengue: Therapeutic Solutions and Critical Insights for Vaccine Development Fri, 05 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
The unprecedented 2015-2016 Zika outbreak in the Americas sparked global concern and drove the rapid deployment of vaccine and therapeutic countermeasures against this re-emerging pathogen. Alongside vaccine development, a number of potent neutralizing antibodies against Zika and related flaviviruses have been identified in recent years. High-throughput antibody isolation approaches have contributed to a better understanding of the B cell responses elicited following infection and/or...
- Site-specific N-glycosylation analysis of animal cell culture-derived Zika virus proteins Fri, 05 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Here, we present for the first time, a site-specific N-glycosylation analysis of proteins from a Brazilian Zika virus (ZIKV) strain. The virus was propagated with high yield in an embryo-derived stem cell line (EB66, Valneva SE), and concentrated by g-force step-gradient centrifugation. Subsequently, the sample was proteolytically digested with different enzymes, measured via a LC-MS/MS-based workflow, and analyzed in a semi-automated way using the in-house developed glyXtool^(MS) software. The...
- Construction of a recombinant avipoxvirus expressing the env gene of Zika virus as a novel putative preventive vaccine Fri, 05 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS: Although BALB/c mice appear to be an adequate model for ZIKV infection, as it mimics the natural mild infection in human beings, inadequate immune suppression seemed to occur by dexamethasone and different immune suppression strategies should be applied before challenge to reveal any protection of the mice.
- Assessment of knowledge, attitudes, and practices towards Zika virus among healthcare workers in St. Kitts Fri, 05 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS: Significant association between healthcare workers' sociodemographic characteristics and Zika virus knowledge, attitudes and practices were observed. Public health interventions that seek to increase Zika virus awareness should aim to train healthcare workers who are younger, without formal degree and those earning low income.
- Assessing the atmospheric fate of pesticides used to control mosquito populations in Houston, TX Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
During the summer months, urban areas are literal hot spots of mosquito-borne disease transmission and air pollution. Public health authorities release aerosolized pesticides directly into the atmosphere to help control adult mosquito populations and thereby reduce the threat of diseases, such as Zika Virus. The primary adulticides (i.e. pesticides used to control adult mosquito populations) in Houston, TX are permethrin and malathion. These adulticides are typically sprayed at night using...
- Measuring the global burden of chikungunya and Zika viruses: A systematic review Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Throughout the last decade, chikungunya virus (CHIKV) and Zika virus (ZIKV) infections have spread globally, causing a spectrum of disease that ranges from self-limited febrile illness to permanent severe disability, congenital anomalies, and early death. Nevertheless, estimates of their aggregate health impact are absent from the literature and are currently omitted from the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) reports. We systematically reviewed published literature and surveillance records to...
- In vitro study of Hesperetin and Hesperidin as inhibitors of zika and chikungunya virus proteases Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
The potential outcome of flavivirus and alphavirus co-infections is worrisome due to the development of severe diseases. Hundreds of millions of people worldwide live under the risk of infections caused by viruses like chikungunya virus (CHIKV, genus Alphavirus), dengue virus (DENV, genus Flavivirus), and zika virus (ZIKV, genus Flavivirus). So far, neither any drug exists against the infection by a single virus, nor against co-infection. The results described in our study demonstrate the...
- Memory B cell and antibody responses to flavivirus infection and vaccination Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Flaviviruses are a group of mosquito- or tick-borne single-stranded RNA viruses that can cause a wide range of clinical manifestations in humans and animals, including asymptomatic, flu-like febrile illness, hemorrhagic fever, encephalitis, birth defects, and death. Many of them have no licensed vaccines available for human use. Memory B cell development and induction of neutralizing antibody responses, which are important for the control of flavivirus infection and dissemination, have been used...
- TLR3 activation by Zika virus stimulates inflammatory cytokine production which dampens the antiviral response induced by RIG-I-like receptors Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Infection with the Zika virus (ZIKV), a member of the Flaviviridae family, can cause serious neurological disorders, most notably microcephaly in newborns. Here we investigated the innate immune response to ZIKV infection in cells of the nervous system. In human neural progenitor cells (hNPCs), a target for ZIKV infection and likely involved in ZIKV-associated neuropathology, viral infection failed to elicit an antiviral interferon (IFN) response. However, pharmacological inhibition of TLR3...
- Inhibition of innate immune response ameliorates Zika virus-induced neurogenesis deficit in human neural stem cells Wed, 03 Mar 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Global Zika virus (ZIKV) outbreaks and their strong link to microcephaly have raised major public health concerns. ZIKV has been reported to affect the innate immune responses in neural stem/progenitor cells (NS/PCs). However, it is unclear how these immune factors affect neurogenesis. In this study, we used Asian-American lineage ZIKV strain PRVABC59 to infect primary human NS/PCs originally derived from fetal brains. We found that ZIKV overactivated key molecules in the innate immune pathways...